mercury flasks

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Postby badinfluence63 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:01 pm

acdonah,

Pirates would know how to use such alchemy? I can see privateers or oher educated sorts who were perpetrating illegal acts of thefts but then they would be inclined to hide the evidence wouldn't they.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby acdonah on Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:14 pm

badinfluence63 wrote:acdonah,

Pirates would know how to use such alchemy?

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)

BI,

Divers shed light on pirate legend as Blackbeard's ship releases its secrets
DIANE BARTZ IN BEAUFORT, NORTH CAROLINA

NEARLY three centuries ago, the notorious pirate Blackbeard ran aground in his ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, off what is now a North Carolina beach town.

This month, a crew of 13 is heading out to sea each day, hoping for clear-enough weather to dive the 20 to 25ft to the ocean bottom to excavate what they believe is Blackbeard's ship.

The team has found cannons, a bell, lead shot of all sizes, gold dust, pewter cups and medical devices, like a urethral syringe used to treat syphilis with mercury.

OUCH!!!!...:shock:

here is the complete article
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid ... 1608182006

I think you are underestimating the knowledge and technology Pirates possessed. They came from all walks of life and nationalities. Plus, if they didn't know how to do something, they found or kidnapped a person who did. For all we know, they could have taken an Alchemist from the ship they they captured. I think the main issue is that the process was available to them at the time.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:37 pm

acdonah,

Excellent article. Especially the part about cutting Teach's head off square at the shoulders!

Good point about pirates either being versitile and when unable getting someone who could. Thats how Black Bart became a pirate captain. He was originally taken off a captured ship because of his navigational skills. However for arguments sake, can you cedit them with having the good sense to use mercury but not being savy enough to cover there tracks?

I would be curious exactly when those emptied bottles of mercury were originally found. And I'm almost sure they haven't been carbon dated. The interest in when they were found as possibly eliminating something done a later time involving mercury rather then an earlier time? As well as knowing the full extent, all the uses of mercury.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Postby acdonah on Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:42 pm

BI,

I'm going to make a contribution to OI by creating a timeline of everything OI. I will put all this info on the timeline.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:45 pm

acd,

And coach baseball too? :) How will you accomplish this feat! :shock:

The timeline will only be as accurate as what is known. It won't be a true accurate as far as when it actually occurred versus when it was found. In other words, with regard to the mercury bottles. When they were first mentione will not be when they were first placed there. Its almost impossible to know that know. That makes any projected timeline not definitive by any means but very helpful as far as currently know facts and when they were first discovered(not to be confused with when they actually happened. I think that needs to be clear).

Here is an already existing timeline:

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/time.htm

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Postby Jo on Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:07 pm

BI - that's a very old webpage and I know it's not accurate!

When the migration takes place that will improve though :)
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby badinfluence63 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:13 pm

Jo,

Hello Jo.

When you say it will be more accurate does that mean you have added stuff or stuff will be added once the new format is in place?

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:36 pm

[quote="badinfluence63"] I would be curious exactly when those emptied bottles of mercury were originally found. And I'm almost sure they haven't been carbon dated. /quote]

What was found, according to correspondence between Gilbert Hedden and Burrell Ruth (and later confirmed to me by Hedden and Ruth's widows, as well as by Amos Nauss, Hedden's on-site foreman), were thousands of shards of broken pottery flasks in a shallow dump in Joudrey's Cove (north side of the island) in the summer of 1937. Some of the broken flasks contained traces of a liquid silver residue which Hedden had analyzed in Halifax, and which was found to be mercury. This was discovered at the time when Hedden had his crew scouring the island for any markers that might tie into the famous Mar Del map. And no, neither the mercury nor the flasks were (or could be) carbon dated, as neither is an organic substance.

Those are the only first-hand accounts of the presence of mercury on the island that I have ever come across.

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby badinfluence63 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:20 pm

D'Arcy,

Thanks D'Arcy for that mention of a specific year with regard to the mercury vials. Do you think that it'd be reasonable to suggest that those bottles could have existed there untouched since the pirate years? And are you aware in your study of Oak ISland over the years where mercury would have been used on the islnad...you know..like a secret place for the mahone bay residents, like Tanks and Ricks great grandfathers to secretly meet to have their syphilis cured :lol: .

But in all seriousness are you aware of any reason to have used mercury on Oak Island?

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Postby acdonah on Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:26 pm

badinfluence63 wrote:acd,

And coach baseball too? :) How will you accomplish this feat! :shock:

The timeline will only be as accurate as what is known. It won't be a true accurate as far as when it actually occurred versus when it was found. In other words, with regard to the mercury bottles. When they were first mentione will not be when they were first placed there. Its almost impossible to know that know. That makes any projected timeline not definitive by any means but very helpful as far as currently know facts and when they were first discovered(not to be confused with when they actually happened. I think that needs to be clear).

Here is an already existing timeline:

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/time.htm

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)

BI,

I couldn't even think of starting now. It will be a constant work in progress....years more likely and I will share it with everyone.
Baseball ends in June, so maybe then. Plus, it will be more elaborate then that one. How could I possibly know when the flasks/vials placed there? I was thinking of the time when they were found.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion